I have been a member of Wattpad for about five months now but not really active. I have read a couple of stories written by my writing friends but I haven’t posted any of my stories.
#Wattpad and it’s possibilities has crept up on me in a number of ways:
- Many of my writing friends use it.
- I recently read The Temp by Emily Benet, now published by the successful Harper Impulse imprint. The story made its first appearance on Wattpad, was published by them and promoted as a #Wattpad sensation.
- I read a very interesting blog post on the impact of #Wattpad, when I was browsing through my followers’ blogs, by Leona’s Blog of Shadows the post called The Power of Wattpad: Jaw Dropping Info & Crash Course, makes enlightening reading.
So today I decided to complete my Wattpad profile and I am seriously considering uploading a few chapters of The Dangerous Gift, rewritten in a serial format, short chapters with a cliffhanger ending to make people want to know what happens next.
Promoting published books is also possible on #Wattpad and I am interested in sharing a few pages of The Dragon Legacy and The Revenge Masquerade in this way if my publisher Crimson Frost Books agrees.
My concerns are:
- Will posting part of a book I am subbing to publishers damage my chances of getting it published?
- Will it be vulnerable to piracy?
- I suppose my third fear is that either no-one will read it. Or if they do they won’t like it , but that is a risk a writer takes every time they publish and I’m prepared to take that risk.
So what do you think? Should I share my story with the #Wattpad community, which is reputed to be 35 million?